I’d hold that, but my hands are full.
We’re loud. We’re silly. We’re busy. We’re messy (sorry!) Someone is ALWAYS talking.
My big family: Four kids, two adults and one soft and furry rabbit.
Child number four is only 3 months old but in that short time I’ve gotten used to the sympathetic smiles and the ubiquitous, “Looks like you have your hands full.”
Wait. No I haven’t. So here’s my open letter to those who feel the need to say something when I’m out and about.
Dear Captain Obvious,
You know what, I do have my hands full. Thanks for pointing that out. Without you I wouldn’t realize that A. I have two hands and B. they have eight. And since I’m not an octopus or a spider or a millipede, I will always have my hands full.
If your sly remark is meant to shame me in to feeling embarrassed about my brood, think again.
- This restaurant has high chairs and kids menus, so no, we’re not in the wrong place.
- My kids have four different minds and four different personalities, of course everyone wants to do something different. It’s my place to teach them how to compromise.
- What’s your vice? Now imagine being trapped in a place with that thing and not being able to touch, taste or feel it. Kinda sucks, right? Kids hate that too, that’s why God invented the dollar section at Target.
- You should probably circle the parking lot for a different space. I’m not moving for at least another seven minutes.
- As long as they are clean, dressed and fed don’t worry about me. That’s enough to make me happy.
So Captain, next time you see a “big” family, smile and give Mom or Dad the thumbs up because we need all the encouragement we can get. Now where is that girl’s shoe…
Mom of four